Israeli-born historian Avi Shlaim, a professor at the University of Oxford in England, publishes a long and carefully analyzed piece on Gaza. In the heart of it he refutes three major talking points from a new Israeli ministry devoted to pushing the message. Here is the simple version pulled from his essay:</p>
- Propaganda Point: "Hamas broke the ceasefire agreements"
- The truth: "It was not Hamas but the IDF that broke the ceasefire. It did so by a raid into Gaza on 4 November that killed six Hamas men."
- Propaganda Point "Israel's objective is the defence of its population."
- The truth: "Israel's objective is not just the defence of its population but the eventual overthrow of the Hamas government in Gaza by turning the people against their rulers.
- Propaganda Point: "Israel's forces are taking the utmost care not to hurt innocent civilians."
- The truth: "far from taking care to spare civilians, Israel is guilty of indiscriminate bombing and of a three-year-old blockade that has brought the inhabitants of Gaza, now 1.5 million, to the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe."